• Intake & Info Number: 403-870-5231

Frequently Asked Questions2021-11-02T02:47:42-04:00
Is there a fee to stay at Emma House?2021-11-02T02:44:56-04:00

There is a monthly fee of $400 which includes shelter, food, and life skills programming. In many cases, government funding is available to cover these fees.

Can I bring a significant other stay at with me at Emma House?2021-11-02T02:44:41-04:00

Emma House is a safe house dedicated to expectant or new moms and their baby only. We are unable to accommodate for both a mother and their significant other.

Can I come to Emma House if I have other children?2021-11-02T02:44:22-04:00

Emma House supports family involvement and engagement with other children you may have. However, at this time we can only accommodate an expectant or new mom and their baby.

If I already had my baby, might I still be considered for residency?2021-11-02T02:44:08-04:00

Yes, if your baby is a newborn (up to 3 months).

How long does a resident usually stay at Emma House?2021-11-02T02:43:53-04:00

You and your baby can stay at Emma House for up to a year after your baby is born.

What is the minimum age requirement to be a resident?2021-11-02T02:43:35-04:00

We support mothers to be who are ages 12 and over

Can I donate services?2021-11-02T02:42:56-04:00

Yes. We are always seeking new partnerships local businesses and service providers use their talents to teach new skills and provide support to the women and children of Emma House. Please contact us to discuss the possibilities in depth. Click Here to Email Emma House

What happens when I donate online?2021-11-02T02:42:41-04:00

When you make an online donation through our website, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive that, please contact us at info@emmahouse.ca. Be sure to check your junk mail folder for the email confirmation as well.

Will I receive a receipt for income tax purposes?2021-11-02T02:42:29-04:00

Yes. Businesses, organizations, institutions, and individuals alike will all receive receipts for their donations of over $20 CAD. Tax Receipts are mailed once a year, issued before the end of February of the following year. For example, if you donate in July 2017, your tax receipt will be sent out in February 2018. Receipts will be mailed to the address you provide.

Can I donate regularly, such as once per month?2021-11-02T02:40:22-04:00

Absolutely! Commitments like these are essential to help us plan for the future of Emma House to ensure the women and children we support access exceptional services. Go to our Monetary Donations page to set up your reoccurring contribution. Please Contact us if you have more questions.

Can I make a one-time monetary donation?2021-11-02T02:40:05-04:00

Of course! We are happy to accept one-time donations. We’ve set up a very simple, secure donation form on our Monetary Donations page. Just be sure to select “one-time” in the options area of that form. For donations $20 or more, a tax receipt will be issued.

How will my donation be spent?2021-11-02T02:39:51-04:00
  • All money from donations goes towards covering operation costs to provide ongoing care to our mothers and babies living at Emma House.
  • These costs includes: staff wages, utilities, groceries, transportation, and other support and events for the women and children who stay with us.
Do you accept non perishable food items?2021-11-02T02:39:24-04:00

Sadly, No. However, we do accept gift cards to grocery stores. Please click here to see a list of food banks in Calgary

Do you accept donations of second hand items?2021-11-02T02:38:53-04:00
  • We accept an assortment of gift donations, from household items to personal items. Our storage space for these sorts of donations is limited so please see what Emma House currently needs by clicking here.
  • We are NOT accepting any clothing donations at this time (*Updated July 2020)
How can I donate?2021-11-02T02:38:45-04:00

You can donate online, by clicking here. You can also mail cheques, made payable to Emma Maternity House, to our mailing address:

PO Box 74012 Strathcona Postal Outlet Calgary, AB T3H 3B6

Does Emma House provide food hampers to community members?2021-11-02T02:37:29-04:00

Unfortunately, no. Please see our food resources page if you are in need of a food hamper.

What is the Serving Communities Internship Program?2021-11-02T02:36:55-04:00

The SCiP support post-secondary students looking to get hands-on experience and grow their skills by working hand-in-hand with non-profit organizations. As participants in this program, we are happy to accept interns into our organization. Please visit our Intern page for more information.

Can I volunteer as part of my high school volunteer hours?2021-11-02T02:36:41-04:00

Not at this time.

What types of volunteer roles are available?2021-11-02T02:36:25-04:00

We have a large variety of volunteer positions available from preparing meals, teaching life skills, assisting with events and house/yard maintenance work, and . Please see our Volunteer Page for more info.

Is there a volunteer screening process?2021-11-02T02:36:00-04:00

All volunteers will need to complete a Vulnerable Sector Police Clearance Check. More information about this process will be discussed as you make your way through the volunteer registration process.

Do I need to go through training to become a volunteer?2021-11-02T02:35:44-04:00

Emma House will provide all the necessary training for your role.

How old do I have to be to volunteer?2021-11-02T02:35:27-04:00

Individual volunteers must be 18 years old or older.

For more information please contact our intake line at 403-870-5231

Didn’t get the answer you needed? 

Feel free to contact us for more information about our services, volunteering, and donating.  To contact us by email, click here

Go to Top