Board Position – General Member
Thank you for your interest in serving as a member of the Board of Directors of Emma House. Serving on the board is a rewarding experience and an opportunity for personal and professional growth. Completing this form will help us get to know you better and for you to better understand the skills and time/resource commitments of this leadership position. You may find it helpful to read through the entire application and Board Member Responsibilities before you begin filling it out.
This application will be kept confidential. Applications are used by the Board’s Nominating Committee to identify and evaluate potential board candidates. All new Directors are elected by a majority vote of current board members.
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves a minimum of one (2) two-year term on the Board. Eligible to serve four (4) two-year terms if re-elected.
- Attends a minimum of three (3) Emma House events each year.
- The Board of Directors meet on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively on the Emma House Board of Directors and towards Board of Directors’ committee work. The Emma House Board of Directors is a working board where each director is actively engaged and chairs a committee, as appropriate.
- Stays informed about board and committee matters, is prepared for meetings, and reviews and comments on meeting minutes and reports.
- Builds a collegial working relationship with other board and committee members that contributes to consensus and the best path forward for Emma House.
- Participates in the Board of Directors’ annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participates in the advancement of the strategic plan of Emma House including fundraising.
EMMA HOUSE VISION, MISSION, AND PURPOSE
Healthy mothers and babies living in community
To provide housing and support for pregnant women and youth experiencing or at risk of homelessness; empowering them to move out of vulnerability and into a health and sustainable life for them and their child.
We exist to create transformative change for expectant mothers and their babies, their families, and our shared communities.