Board Position – Treasurer
Thank you for your interest in serving as a member of the Board of Directors of Emma House. Serving on the board is a rewarding experience and an opportunity for personal and professional growth. Completing this form will help us get to know you better and for you to better understand the skills and time/resource commitments of this leadership position. You may find it helpful to read through the entire application and Board Member Responsibilities before you begin filling it out.
This application will be kept confidential. Applications are used by the Board’s Nominating Committee to identify and evaluate potential board candidates. All new Directors are elected by a majority vote of current board members.
BOARD MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves a minimum of one (2) two-year term on the Board. Eligible to serve four (4) two-year terms if re-elected.
- Attends a minimum of three (3) Emma House events each year.
- The Board of Directors meet on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively on the Emma House Board of Directors and towards Board of Directors’ committee work. The Emma House Board of Directors is a working board where each director is actively engaged and chairs a committee, as appropriate.
- Stays informed about board and committee matters, is prepared for meetings, and reviews and comments on meeting minutes and reports.
- Builds a collegial working relationship with other board and committee members that contributes to consensus and the best path forward for Emma House.
- Participates in the Board of Directors’ annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participates in the advancement of the strategic plan of Emma House including fundraising.
BOARD TREASURER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees development of financial policies and ensures review with the board.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the board for review.
- Provides financial update at regularly scheduled monthly board meetings. Communicates any urgent financial issues to the board to address.
- Ensures appropriate monthly or quarterly financial statements are reviewed by the board.
- Ensures that the board regularly monitors the organization’s financial performance and alerts it to any discrepancies between planned and actual expenditures.
- Working with the Executive Director and accounting personnel, ensures that Emma House maintains appropriate financial records and that these are accurate and up to date.
- Ensures that government tax filings and remittances are submitted on a timely basis.
- Serves as a co-signer of cheques with at least one other signing officer.
- Ensures that excess funds and reserves are appropriately held and invested.
- Verifies that donations are handled appropriately, and that grants and contracts are accounted for in accordance with legislation and accounting best practices.
- Meet with external auditors annually, or more often if needed. Communicate with the Executive Director regarding issues related to financial controls, or record keeping issues in order to address them.
- Assist the Executive Director and board chair with the development and presentation of the annual report.
- Along with the Executive Director, helps keep the board informed of important financial events, trends, and issues relevant to the organization.
- Participates on and chairs the following committees: Audit Committee, Budget Development Committee, Financial Policy Development Committee.
EMMA HOUSE VISION, MISSION, AND PURPOSE
Healthy mothers and babies living in community
To provide housing and support for pregnant women and youth experiencing or at risk of homelessness; empowering them to move out of vulnerability and into a health and sustainable life for them and their child.
We exist to create transformative change for expectant mothers and their babies, their families, and our shared communities.